Tuesday 21 May 2013

Biological explanation of depression

Biological explanations of dysfunctional behaviour centres around physiology, and refers to aspects of biology such as genetics and brain functioning. 

The biological explanation of depression specifically refers to two factors: neurotransmitter dysfunction and inherited genes. In terms of neurotransmitter dysfunction, the biological approach would explain that depression is significantly associated with low levels of serotonin, which has been also been associated with many forms of dysfunctional behaviour including excess anger, anxiety, poor social functioning and other mood disorders. Serotonin is believed to have a variety of roles, and affects brain functioning; though it is not known whether depression is caused by serotonin levels, or whether depression causes low serotonin, or if there is another factor causing them both.

In terms of genes, family research - especially twin and adoption studies - has shown there to be a genetic link to depression, and that this suggests some people may carry genes that predispose them to depression and other mood disorders. Thus, depression could be explained in terms of genetic predispositions.

One study which conducted family correlational research into depression was Wender et al. It was an adoption study which looked at whether environment or genetics appeared to be more associated with depression in adopted adults. The study used a sample of 71 adults who had been adopted and who had a mood disorder, and 71 controls with the same mean age who'd also been adopted but did not have a mood disorder. All had been removed from their mothers at a young age. Psychiatric evaluations were conducted of both the biological and adoptive parents to see whether there was a stronger correlation between depression in adopted adults and depression in adopted parents or biological parents. The results showed that there was an eight fold increase in unipolar depression among the biological parents of the adults. In other words, adoptive parents were eight times less likely to have depression, and the biological parents having depression correlated more significantly with depression in the adopted children than the adopted parents having depression. 

Thus mood disorders appear to have a genetic link, and biological psychologists would thus attribute depression to genetics. 

29 comments:

  1. Hey, this is great, really helpful. Do you have the name of the study by Wender at all? Cannot seem to find it anywhere? Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately not, but unless you're using them in an essay with a reference list, the name is sufficient. In writing an answer for this paper, I would refer to it as Wender et al.'s adoption study.

      Delete
  2. Hi,
    I was wondering if you can use the same studies for explanation of depression and explanations of dysfunctional behaviour i.e behavioural, biological, cognitive? or if you have to use specific studies for each.
    thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah thank you for posted this. I'm really confused from many source but this post is make me understand :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tank you so much Vicky. Exactly what i was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tank you so much Vicky. Exactly what i was looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If anyone is looking for the Wender study, just type in "Psychiatric Disorders in the Biological and Adoptive Families of Adopted Individuals With Affective Disorders, Wender et al" into google scholar, that's the title for the actual study.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where is the study name

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. It after a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS, BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, ETC.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
       drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +2349010754824.
      My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
       

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am from California USA I was diagnosed of HERPES Virus in 2016 and I have tried all I can to get cured but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbalist man who prepare herbal medication to cure all kind of diseases including HERPES virus, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try , when i contact this herbalist via his email and he prepared a HERPES herbal cure and sent it to me via UPS delivery company service, when i received this herbal cure, he gave me step by directions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed, i was totally cured of this deadly virus within 14days of usage, I am now free from the deadly virus called herpes, all thanks to doctor UMA, Contact this great herbal doctor via his email dr.umaherbalcenter@gmail.com call or whatsapp him on his mobile number +2347035619585
    He also have the herb to cure:
    (1) LOSS OF TASTE AND SMELL,
    (2) DIABETES,
    (3) HIV/AIDS,
    (4) PENIS ENLARGEMENT,
    (5) PREGNANCY,
    (6) DIABETES,
    (7) EX BACK.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robinsonbuckler11[[gmail com]] has a remedy for Hsv- 1&2…..

    ReplyDelete